The local government sector has welcomed a funding announcement that will see $115,000 invested to help divert disposable coffee cups from landfill, and urged the NSW Government to go further.
Local Government and Environment Minister Gabrielle Upton announced the funding – to coffee cup recycler Closed Loop Environmental Solutions Pty Ltd – to help divert approximately 11 million cups from landfill within a year.
Local Government NSW President Linda Scott said the announcement was great news, and an example of what can be achieved by focusing on recycling in NSW.
“If $115,000 can divert 11 million disposable cups from landfill, imagine what $727 million could do,” Cr Scott said.
Authorised by Tara McCarthy, Level 8, 28 Margaret Street, Sydney NSW 2000
- MEDIA RELEASE: Residents invited to have their say on household recycling in NSW
- Our top tips for being good to the earth this Christmas
- NSW under pressure to invest more in recycling
- Blue Mountains support for Save our Recycling campaign
- Save Our Recycling campaign launched in bid to solve recycling crisis